Angry can be a lot of things in Bisaya.

It can be "nasuko" or "napungot" or even nakasaput. The last one being a milder form of the three.

It's like this. If you stumble on a shoes, then it's makasaput.

IF you've already told the people around you not to leave the damned shoes in the hallway, that's makapungot. Then, if someone tossed the shoes on the hallway because they saw you walking and they know you're not paying attention, then it's nasuko.

The words without tenses would be:

Nasuko => adj. resentful; irate
Napungot => adj. mad
Saput => adj. mild irritation which can be lead to anger also

These words are pronounce as they are read...much like a Spanish pronunciation would be.

4 comments:

Thank you so much for doing this. My mom was born in Unidos, Misamis Occidental in Mindanao...and I rarely run into someone up in Vancouver who speak Bisaya.

All I have to work with are the bible (too deep) and biblical comic books. Thank you for writing Bisaya. With people like you, maybe we won't lose our language.

I will be having a child in June and hope to pass this language on...

Thanks,
Arlene

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:51:00 PM  

Hello Arlene,

Thank you! I started this so I can teach my kids and husband to learn it. I might even add audio at some point for pronunciation.

I appreciate your comment.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:44:00 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 8:22:00 AM  

How about the word "Lagud", it seems to belong to the same category as "Suko" and is widely used in Mindanao. BTW I'm not Bisayan, not even Pinoy... just an Insik from a neighboring country learning some of the language. Nice blog, hope you continue posting. :)

My blog: http://alindan0w.blogspot.com/

Sunday, October 14, 2007 8:32:00 AM