If someone were to ask you a question, and you wanted to answer in Bisaya, you would say

Ambot lang ('bot' rhymes with 'bought')
Translated to: I don't know.

Another version:
Wala ko kabalo!
Wa' ko kabalo,
which is what most native speakers say.
Contractions are very common in Bisayan as well as in English.

As to its usage, I am sure there is a difference, but do not know for sure. We tend to use "Wala ko kabalo" if the question is about knowledge of an information. We say "ambot lang" if the question is something to do with a talent or task.

For example, if someone were to asked if we could dance or perfom something; it's better to say "ambot lang." However, if they asked if you still have some cake left over from a party, usually the answer is "wa' ko kabalo."

Vocabulary:
kabalo - know
Kahibalo - knowledge, or ability
wala - a state of "not" having something, not to be confused with
hurot, which means you used to have it, but now you don't.

I got very busy with something needing my attention, energy and temper...but hopefully, I'll be posting regularly for my 1 or two readers out there. :) If you know Bisaya, feel free to jump in.

0 comments: